Monday, November 12, 2012

Shadows, July 2000

To sleep, perchance to dream...



This is a poem DiGi wrote after one of my visits to France.  It still brings me to tears with its sweetness. His poetry is only one of the many reasons I love him.

There was a friend visiting when the above photo was taken. We were all listening to music, and he and DiGi were engaged in lively discussion while I was finding it harder and harder to keep my eyes open. I fell asleep smiling because I was just so filled with contentment.

That was also the time I cried for three hours on the plane when I went back to the US. The flight attendant, a handsome young man, felt sorry for me and asked if there was anything he could do for me; I sobbed, "Take me back to Paris!"

(Thank you, my Lovest Love.)

Shadows

I opened the door again
Perhaps by magic
By a trick of the memory
Or a forgotten figment
She would be.

I listened to her absence
Hugged her pillow
Bathed in her sleepy breath
Stroked the empty sheet
Where she should be.

My eyelids slowly closed
Rememberances floated
Between my senses
Soap bubbles popped
Stinging eyes as bubbles do

This empty room
Crowded with your shadows
Whispers to me
In warm ghost voices
Of magic and love
And I sleep.

Scarecrow, 2000
(AKA Donald Ward)

No comments: